PHD Scholarships of ERASMUS+ HIGHER EDUCATION MOBILITY at Bahir Dar University
Call for applications for PhD Student mobility for studies,
2019-20 academic year
1 Purpose of the call and general regulations
- This call regulates the application procedure for student mobility in the framework of the Erasmus+ International Credit Mobility project between Ca’ Foscari University of Venice, Italy and Bahir Dar University.
Erasmus+ is the EU programme for education, training, youth and sport covering the period 2014-2020. It offers a wide range of opportunities for students and staff to study and train abroad and obtain credits which are then recognised by the sending institution.
- The present Erasmus+ International Credit Mobility project between Ca’ Foscari University of Venice and Bahir Dar University lasts 26 months, from June 1, 2018 to July 31, 2020.
2 Mobility types and available places
Under this call the applications is for doctorate (3rd cycle) ONE place is available for prospective candidates from Bahir Dar University.
The present call for applications provides mobility grants for 2019-2020 academic year.
3 Admission requirements
3.1 In order to apply prospective candidates must be enrolled at Bahir Dar University at the moment of application and for the whole duration of the mobility.
3.2 Language proficiency
Applicants are required to be proficient in English at level B2 and/or Italian at level B2 of the CEFR respectively, and to provide certifications or self-certifications of the required level.
- The same student may participate in Erasmus+ mobility periods totaling up to 12 months maximum per each cycle of study (Doctoral level), independently from the number and type of mobility activities. Previous Erasmus+ and Erasmus Mundus experiences must be taken into account for calculation purposes;
- Selected beneficiaries will not be allowed to benefit from any other grant provided by the European Commission for mobility for study for the same period;
- Beneficiaries must carry out their mobility activities in a country different from the country where they have their accommodation during their studies
- Candidates with a double nationality must specify the nationality under which they submit their scholarship application.
- If, at any stage in the application procedure, it is established that the information provided by the applicant has been knowingly falsified, the candidate will be disqualified from the selection process.
- Students who receive an Erasmus+ grant will fully or partially reimburse the EU grant if they do not comply with the terms of the grant agreement and/or if they fail to complete and submit the final online report, unless they are prevented from completing their planned activities aborad due to a case of force majeure.
Mobility for studies:
Erasmus+ grants for study are awarded for full time study activities, including thesis preparation, at first, second and third study cycles. The studies in which the beneficiaries are enrolled must be leading to a recognized degree or another recognized tertiary level qualification.
5.1 Grantees will receive a grant as a contribution to their costs for travel and individual support during their mobility. They are specified in the table below:
|INDIVIDUAL GRANT||INDIVIDUAL SUPPORT|
|850€ per month|
|Travel costs will be covered by the project|
(up to the amounts defined by the E+ programme on the basis of the distance bands.Changes will not be covered)
5.2 Erasmus+ selected students will continue to pay fees to their sending university but will benefit from tuition waiver from their host university.
5.3 The mobility period must be carried out continuously and it must not be split into different periods.
5.4 Selected candidates accepting the scholarship will sign a scholarship contract listing their duties and responsibilities. They will be required to comply with the local admission requirements and registration procedures at the Host University.
5.5 Special needs support
Extra financial support may be available for beneficiaries with special needs. A person with special needs is a potential participant whose individual physical, mental or health-related situation is such that his/her participation in the project would not be possible without extra financial support. The contribution will be awarded to beneficiaries with special needs upon request by the Coordinating institution and approval from the Erasmus+ Italian National Agency.
6 Admission procedure
- Prospective applicants should submit their application form and required documents (see section 6.2) via e-mail to the address: (add relevant contact at Bahir Dar University) from 29 march 2019 to 05 Appril 2019. Any application received after the deadline will not be accepted;
- A confirmation e-mail will be sent after the application has successfully been submitted;
- The official language of the application is English and/or Italian. At the time of application diplomas, transcripts and other official documents may be submitted in original language but they must be accompanied by an English At this stage non certified translations are accepted. In case applicants are selected they may have to provide certified translations of all relevant documents.
6.2 Required Documentation
Applicants must provide the following documents:
- Application form duly filled in and signed;
- Copy of a valid ID card or passport;
- Copy of a residence document (stating where the student has his/her accommodationduring his/her studies – ex: copy of electricity bills, accommodation rental contracts);
- Copy of a proof of registration at a PhD programme at Bahir Dar University (e.g. certificate of enrollment);
- Copy of the transcripts of records, indicating university grades/marks for finished and/or current cycles of study;
- Copy of official language certifications(if any) or self-certifications of language qualifications;
- Proposed Learning Agreement Mobility Programme (3rd cycle students), signed by the applicant, the Erasmus+ Administrative Coordinator and Erasmus+ Academic Coordinatoror Coordinator of the Student’s Study Programme of the sending institution;
- Letter of interest signed by the prospective academic supervisor/Head of Department at Ca’ Foscari University of Venice stating the availability and willingness to supervise the applicant. In order to get this applicants MUST contact email@example.com (providing a CV and a research plan);
- Curriculum Vitae (max 2 pages) in English, including extracurricular activities (courses, seminars, conferences, published research, etc.) and professional experience related to the fields of knowledge of the courses. Please use the European template on https://europass.cedefop.europa.eu/en/documents/curriculum-vitae/templates-instructions.iehtml;
- Proof of socio-economic disadvantaged background (in case it is available);
- Recommendation letters and other supporting documents in English, e.g. honours, awards, internship/work certificates, proof of disabilityif relevant.
7 Selection process
7.1 The Selection process includes the following steps:
- Eligibility check by Bahir Dar University;
- Evaluation process by Bahir Dar University Selection Committee;
The Bahir Dar University will review the submitted applications and evaluate the technical components (eligibility requirements, full documentation, completeness and authenticity of documents attached) to identify the eligible candidates.
Only valid and eligible applications will be evaluated and ranked by Bahir Dar University Selection Committee, according with the following criteria, which have been jointly agreed by the partner university and the coordinating university.
7.2 In the framework of Erasmus+ regulations the first criterion for selecting students must be academic merit, but with equivalent academic level, preference should be assigned to students from less advantaged socio-economic backgrounds.
7.3 The final selection decision will also consider cross-cutting evaluation criteria such as gender balance, equal opportunities and participation of disadvantaged groups (disabled students, economically disadvantaged students) providing a more equal and fair selection process.
7.4 Bahir Dar University decide to invite the candidates whose average score is above the threshold for an interview, either face-to-face or via Skype.
7.5 At the end of the selection procedure the Bahir Dar University Selection Committee will draft a ranking list of qualified candidates. A reserve list will also be defined and will include the names of eligible candidates whom may be awarded a grant in case of withdrawal/drop-out of selected students or if additional funding is available.
7.6 All applicants will be informed by e-mail of the selection results as soon as the evaluation procedure has been concluded. The final list will be also published on the Bahir Dar University website for transparency reasons.
7.7 Selected candidates will receive a scholarship offer and are required to accept or reject it in written within 5 days. For every selected candidate not accepting the grant within the deadline, the Bahir Dar University will nominate a candidate from the reserve list.
7.8 Appeal Procedure
- Rejected applicants who feel that a mistake has been made in the process or that their application has not been fairly evaluated can file a complaint to AVP not later than 3 days, explaining their reasons.
- Complaints from applicants who have failed to satisfy all of the eligibility criteria (e.g. who have not produced the required documentation, or have applied for a scholarship but do not meet the requirements, etc.), or have failed to satisfy them within the established time frames, will not be taken into consideration.
- The appeal procedure can only come into play if a candidate feels that the Selection Committee has not handled his/her own application in line with the principles and procedures described in the call. In other words, the appeal cannot concern the decision itself, but only an alleged error made in the process.
8. Application Deadline and Procedures
Application deadline: From 29 March 2019 to 05 April 2019
Submission of application: Completed forms should be submitted to AVP Office (Wisdom Tower, 1st Floor, R-117) within the deadline. For detail information, please follow the three links below.
For more information, please visit the official Facebook page of Bahir Dar University here.