PhD Scholarships in Animal Science & Animal Genetics and Breeding Unit at University of New England
PhD Scholarships in Animal Science & Animal Genetics and Breeding Unit at University of New England is open for applications and the deadline is March 8, 2019.
The University of New England (UNE) in Armidale, NSW Australia, boasts an excellent national and international reputation being a leader in research and academic innovation that has industry impact. We aim to foster a constructive and engaged culture where creative ideas and innovation thrive. UNE serves regional, national and international communities through the progressive pursuit of excellence in scholarship, research and teaching. While we have a long history and strong tradition of academic distinction, our outlook is dynamic and fresh and our focus is on the future.
The School of Environmental and Rural Science (ERS) at UNE is actively involved in education and research programs in agriculture and is well recognised by industry and research funding bodies. The Animal Science Genetics groups, have a strong international reputation and are well funded with a very active research portfolio
The Animal Genetics and Breeding Unit (AGBU), a joint venture between the DPI and University of New England, is a world leader in Research and Development for genetic evaluation and improvement systems. AGBU conducts research and development in genetic improvement of livestock and plant species. This work underpins the national genetic evaluation and improvement systems for beef cattle (BREEDPLAN), sheep (Sheep Genetics), pigs (PIGBLUP), trees (TREEPLAN).
Animal Science and AGBU together offer a unique environment for post-graduate training in having strong direct links to industry implementation in beef, sheep, pigs, forestry and other species, with access to large datasets relevant to a range of problems, and a very strong roster of research scientists and teachers with expertise across all aspects of genetic improvement.
We are now seeking applicants for a number of PhD scholarships available to Australian and international candidates for the following project areas:
- Livestock and plant genomics including GWAS and genomic prediction methods
- Breeding for resilience and welfare traits
- Genotype by environment interaction and genetics of adaptation
- Breeding program design and optimization
- Implementing genomic selection in pig breeding programs
- Breeding objectives in changing animal production systems
- Genomic prediction of disease traits such as footrot in sheep
- Analyses of industry selection lines in Merino sheep
- Genetics of reproduction including twinning in beef cattle
The ideal candidates will have a master of science or a first class honours in the field of animal or agricultural science with some background in
- quantitative genetics and statistical modelling
- sound computing skills
- experience in the use of computer packages for statistical analysis and
- an interest in agriculture.
Excellent written and oral English language communication skills and ability to work in a team environment are essential. Recent graduates are encouraged to apply.
Applicants should address these selection criteria in a cover letter and prepare a project proposal (maximum of 150 words) for their topic area(s) of interest. These documents should be submitted as part of the scholarship application.
The scholarship value is AU$27,596 p.a.
The scholarship is tax exempt and paid in fortnightly instalments. The scholarship is available to domestic and international students and will cover the cost of tuition fees for international students. Please see the scholarship terms and conditions for more information.
How To Apply
Applicants must meet UNE’s admission requirements for a PhD program. Please see the entry requirements here. Applicants must submit a candidature application if they wish to apply for a scholarship. For more information on submitting a candidature application please see our web page on how to apply/enrol for candidature.
To apply for the scholarship please review the relevant application guidelines and complete the application form:
- International Students Scholarship Application Guidelines
- International Students Scholarship Application Forms
- Domestic Students Scholarship Application Guidelines
- Domestic Students Scholarship Application Forms
Scholarship and candidature applications can be submitted through AskUNE.
Armidale, a vibrant university city recognised as a centre of culture, is well served with art, music, theatre, sport and public and private education.
Closing Date: 8 March 2019
For further information, please visit the official website of the University here.
- Full Fee Scholarships at Adelaide University Australia for International Students
- Fully Funded Postgraduate Scholarships in United Kingdom at University of Leeds, 2019
- More than 214 Masters Programmes in World Bank Scholarships Program for Developing Countries
- World Bank Scholarships in Agricultural Systems And Engineering at Asian Institute of Technology
- More than 100 Fully Funded Peace Rotary Fellowships 2020-2021
- Melbourne Chancellors Scholarship for Australian Students
- PhD Scholarship ARC Discovery Project: Global Childhoods: Lifeworlds and educational success in Australia and Asia
- Fully Funded Dean’s International Students Scholarships at the University of Melbourne
- Melbourne Indigenous Merit Scholarships for Australian Students