MSc and PhD World Bank Funded Scholarship Application Call at Haramaya University
The application for MSc and PhD World Bank Funded Scholarship Application Call at Haramaya University is open now and the application deadline is on May 31st, 2019 at Africa Center of Excellence (ACE) for Climate Smart Agriculture and Biodiversity Conservation (Climate SABC).
Africa Center of Excellence (ACE) for Climate Smart Agriculture and Biodiversity Conservation (Climate SABC) at Haramaya University warmly welcomes African students to enroll in trans-disciplinary post-graduate study programs conducted by a truly global faculty in one of the following:
1. MSc in Climate Smart Agriculture
2. MSc in Biodiversity and Ecosystem Management
3. PhD in Climate Smart Agriculture and Biodiversity Management with sub-specializations in:
• Soil and Water
• Policies, Institutions, and Innovation.
Deadline for application is on 31 May 2019.
Admission Requirements for PhD Programs
Eligible candidates mainly from African countries are invited to apply for studying in the above-mentioned PhD and MSc programs. The medium of instruction for all three programs will be English. Candidates from countries in the region may apply. Deliberate effort and consideration will be made towards correcting the apparent gender imbalance that exists in professional development at higher educational institutions in the region, and particularly in the agricultural sciences.
- For male applicants, a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 3.00 or equivalent at the Master’s level and 2.75 or equivalent at the Bachelor’s level. For female applicants, a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 3.00 or equivalent at the Master’s level and 2.50 or equivalent at the Bachelor’s level. However, a candidate with good research potential and skills that can be evidenced by scientific publications in peer-reviewed journals can be accepted with lower CGPAs.
- Applicants must have an MSc degree in fields related to agriculture (plant sciences, animal sciences, agricultural economics, rural development and agricultural extension) and natural resource management (natural resource economics, agro-forestry and forest management, range land management, biodiversity conservation and management, soil and water conservation, land resource management and administration, climatology/agro-meteorology, disaster/natural risk management, and other related disciplines).
- Applicants must submit a research concept note relevant to the PhD degree sought. The concept note should not exceed 2000 words. The concept note should clearly define the research problem, elucidate research done so far to address the problem, identify gaps, justify the research work to be done, formulate clear objectives, methods, and indicate expected outcomes, how the outcome will tackle problems related to climate change in priority area, with annotated references.
- Applicants should also submit a copy of the abstract of their Master’s thesis as well as copies of their scientific publications.
- Applicants must pass an interview for admission into the programs (interviews will be conducted via Skype for students from countries other than Ethiopia and in person or via Skype for those in Ethiopia at convenience).
Admission Requirements for MSc Programs
Applicants for MSc in Climate Smart Agriculture must hold a BSc or its equivalent in agricultural and environmental sciences and related fields; applicants from non-agricultural backgrounds may be required to take remedial/bridging courses to compensate for deficiencies as recommended by appropriate academic units.
- Applicants for MSc in Biodiversity Conservation and Ecosystem Management (BCEM) must hold a BSc degree from a recognized university or college in biological and environmental sciences, agricultural sciences, wildlife management and ecotourism, natural resources management, forestry, geography, and related fields.
- Male applicants must have a minimum Bachelor’s Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) of 3.00 or its equivalent. Female applicants must have a minimum Bachelor’s Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) of 2.50 or its equivalent. However, a candidate with good research potential and skills that can be evidenced by scientific publications in peer-reviewed journals can be accepted with lower CGPAs.
- Applicants must pass an interview for admission into the programs of their choice (interviews will be conducted via Skype for students from countries other than Ethiopia and in person or via Skype for those in Ethiopia at convenience).
Duration of Study
- A maximum duration of four years for completion of the PhD study (one year for course work and three years for research as well as submission and defense of a dissertation).
- A maximum duration of two years for completion of the Master’s study (one year for course work and another one year for research as well as submission and defense of a thesis).
Scholarship Modalities and Sponsorships
Scholarship opportunities are available on a competitive basis for eligible male and female students from Eastern and Southern Africa Region (Kenya, Malawi, Tanzania, Rwanda, Burundi, Mozambique, Uganda, Zimbabwe and Zambia) as well as for Ethiopian female students. Successful male Ethiopian candidates will be granted financial support to cover research expenses.
As the Center provides only limited scholarship opportunities, qualifying candidates who can fully or partially cover costs of their studies will be given preference for admission.
Applicants eligible for scholarships will receive grants which may include monthly stipends, tuition fees, medical services, book allowances, research funds, and accommodation.
Documents Required for Application
- A cover letter indicating for which program of study the application is being made and description of the motivation to join the program.
- A curriculum vitae (CV).
- Authenticated Master’s and Bachelor’s degrees and transcripts for PhD applicants, and Bachelor’s degrees and transcripts for Master’s applicants.
- Recommendation letters from at least two academic referees who are knowledgeable about the applicant.
- Support letter from employer (if any).
- Copies of valid identification card and/or passport.
- Sponsorship letter from an organization (if any).
- Applicants from countries where English is not the medium of instruction must also prove that they are proficient users of the English language with written evidence from a relevant body or institution in their respective countries.
Where and When to Apply
Applications can be submitted to the following addresses up to the end of May for the upcoming October admission. Applications will be accepted also in the subsequent years.
Applicants must send scanned soft copies of their authenticated degrees and transcripts, CVs, recommendation letters, support letters from employees (if any), valid identification cards, sponsorship letters (if any), and any other requirements listed, in a PDF format as one document (i.e. not in separate files as separate documents). However, PhD research concept notes, copies of MSc the-sis abstracts, and publications should be sent in a PDF format as separate documents. The documents should be sent to the following email address:
Haramaya University, Office of the registrar:
Mr. Muluken Hussen
And copied to:
Dr. Bobe Bedadi, Deputy Center Leader
P.O. Box 138 Dire Dawa Ethiopia
Tel: +251 255530319 Fax: +251 255530325
Mr. Homa Mulisa, Communications Officer
Notification of Selection
Selected candidates will be notified by email.
The university will provide self-catering accommodation services to international students and eligible students on the main campus of the university, which hosts the ACE Center.
For more information, please visit the official announcement by the university here.
- Postgraduate Research Training Program Scholarship (RTP) at Deakin University, Australia
- Australian National University (ANU) Research Scholarships for International Students
- PHD Scholarships for International Students in Australian National University (ANU), Australia
- PHD Scholarships of ERASMUS+ HIGHER EDUCATION MOBILITY at Bahir Dar University
- More than 870 Undergraduate, Masters and PHD Scholarships by Korean Government Scholarship Program
- 4 Scholarships in vibration control and earthquake engineering at Curtin University, Australia
- Australian Government Research Training Program (RTP) Stipend Scholarship at Curtin University
- More than 11,000 Scholarships By Australian Government through Research Training Program (RTP)
- PHD Scholarships at Curtin University, Australia
- Australian Government Research Training Program Funded Scholarships at Charles Sturt University
- Australian Government Research Training Program Scholarship at Charles Darwin University
- Food Agility Masters and PHD Scholarships at 8 Australian Universities
- PhD Scholarships in Animal Science & Animal Genetics and Breeding Unit at University of New England
- Full Fee Scholarships at Adelaide University Australia for International Students
- Fully Funded Postgraduate Scholarships in United Kingdom at University of Leeds, 2019
- More than 214 Masters Programmes in World Bank Scholarships Program for Developing Countries
- World Bank Scholarships in Agricultural Systems And Engineering at Asian Institute of Technology
- More than 100 Fully Funded Peace Rotary Fellowships 2020-2021
- Melbourne Chancellors Scholarship for Australian Students
- PhD Scholarship ARC Discovery Project: Global Childhoods: Lifeworlds and educational success in Australia and Asia