More than 11,000 Scholarships By Australian Government through Research Training Program (RTP)
More than 11,000 Scholarships By Australian Government through Research Training Program (RTP) is provided each year for 42 government universities in Australia. You may check the list of Universities here.
Research Training Program
For students: The Research Training Program (RTP) scheme is administered by individual universities on behalf of the Department of Education and Training. Applications for RTP Scholarships need to be made directly to participating universities. Each university has its own application and selection process, please contact your chosen university directly to discuss how to apply for the RTP scheme.
Information on commencing a postgraduate research degree and university courses can be found on the Postgraduate Research Degree and University Programmes for RTP Scholarship. General information about the support arrangements for students may be obtained from the Study Assist website about the scholarship.
The RTP provides block grants, on a calendar year basis, to higher education providers (HEPs) to support both domestic and overseas students undertaking Research Doctorate and Research Masters degrees, known as higher degrees by research (HDRs).
The objectives of the RTP scheme are to:
- provide flexible funding arrangements to support the training of domestic students and overseas students undertaking HDRs at Australian HEPs
- deliver graduates with the skills required to build careers in academia and other sectors of the labour market
- support collaboration between HEPs and industry and other research end-users
- support overseas students undertaking HDR studies at Australian HEPs.
Students can be offered RTP scholarships for one or more of the following:
- tuition fees offset
- stipend for general living costs
- allowances related to the ancillary cost of research degrees.
RTP scholarships are available to domestic and overseas students enrolled in an accredited HDR course at an Australian HEP. RTP scholarships are available for a maximum period of two years for a research masters.
RTP scholarships are available for a research doctorate degree for a minimum of three years, up to a maximum of four years, at the discretion of the HEP.
RTP Stipend Rates
Each year, the range for RTP stipend rates for the following year will be announced by 1 October. The RTP stipend rate range is effective from 1 January. The table below details current and recent RTP stipend rates.
|Year||Full-time base RTP stipend rate ($)||Full-time max RTP stipend rate ($)|
Universities are responsible for the application and selection processes for RTP Scholarships, so you will need to contact your chosen university’s postgraduate research office directly to discuss how to apply. The list of eligible universities is available in Australian Higher Education Providers for RTP Research Scholarship Grants. Each university provides their own admission criteria for their own programme and use the same scholarship selection criteria.
Student Eligibility Requirements
(1) To be eligible for a RTP Stipend, RTP Fees Offset or RTP Allowance a student must be a domestic student or an overseas student enrolled in an accredited HDR course of study at an Australian HEP.
(2) To be eligible for a RTP Stipend a student must not be receiving income from another source to support that student’s general living costs while undertaking their course of study if that income is greater than 75 per cent of that student’s RTP Stipend rate. Income unrelated to the student’s course of study or income received for the student’s course of study but not for the purposes of supporting general living costs is not to be taken into account.
(3) To be eligible for a RTP Fees Offset a student must not be receiving an equivalent award or scholarship from the Commonwealth designed to offset HDR fees.
RTP Stipend Base and Maximum Value
(1)RTP Stipend values are payable at the applicable rate from 1 January to 31 December for the relevant RTP Grant Year.
(2) For the 2017 Grant Year, the base full-time RTP Stipend rate is $26,682 and the maximum full-time RTP Stipend rate is $41,682.
(3) The base and maximum full-time RTP Stipend rates for any subsequent year are the same as the RTP Stipend rates for the preceding year, indexed in accordance with the method set out in Part 5-6 of the Act.
(4) The department will advise HEPs in writing of the value of the base full-time and maximum full-time RTP Stipend rates for a Grant Year by 1 October of the preceding year.
For more information, please visit Australian Government Education Website here.
- Food Agility Masters and PHD Scholarships at 8 Australian Universities
- PhD Scholarships in Animal Science & Animal Genetics and Breeding Unit at University of New England
- Full Fee Scholarships at Adelaide University Australia for International Students
- Fully Funded Postgraduate Scholarships in United Kingdom at University of Leeds, 2019
- More than 214 Masters Programmes in World Bank Scholarships Program for Developing Countries
- World Bank Scholarships in Agricultural Systems And Engineering at Asian Institute of Technology
- More than 100 Fully Funded Peace Rotary Fellowships 2020-2021
- Melbourne Chancellors Scholarship for Australian Students
- PhD Scholarship ARC Discovery Project: Global Childhoods: Lifeworlds and educational success in Australia and Asia
- Fully Funded Dean’s International Students Scholarships at the University of Melbourne
- Melbourne Indigenous Merit Scholarships for Australian Students