Fully Funded DAAD Master’s Scholarships for Public Policy and Good Governance in Germany 2020
Helmut-Schmidt-Programme (Fully Funded DAAD Master’s Scholarships for Public Policy and Good Governance in Germany 2020) is supporting future leaders from Africa, Central and Latin America, Asia, from countries in the Middle East as well as from the Ukraine (see list of countries), who want to promote democracy and social justice in their home countries. The programme, which is funded by the German Federal Foreign Office, offers the chance to acquire a Master’s degree in Master programmes of particular relevance for the social, political and economic development in the students’ countries of origin. In the light of the principles of Good Governance, highly qualified graduates with a first academic degree are being educated in political science, law, economics and administration and prepared for future leading positions in their home countries.
The scholarship programme is open to graduates in the field of social sciences, political sciences, law, economics and in public administration from Africa, Central and Latin America, Asia, from countries in the Middle East as well as from the Ukraine.
The programme is open for very well qualified graduates with a first university degree (bachelor or equivalent) who want to actively contribute to the social and economic development of their home countries. It is offered both for young graduates without professional experience and for mid-career professionals.
- Scholarship of monthly 850 € for selected MA programmes at German institutions of higher education listed below. The study programmes are usually starting in Sep/Oct 2020 and are taught in German and/or English.
- contributions to health insurance in Germany
- appropriate travel allowance
- study and research subsidy
- monthly rent subsidy where applicable,
- allowances for spouses and/or children where applicable.
- 6-months-German language course from April 2020 to September 2020.
The language course takes place at selected institutes in Germany and usually not at the universities of the selected MA programmes. The language course is compulsory also for those who attend a master ́s course taught in English. The scholarship holders are offered a special tutoring at their host institutions financed by DAAD. Furthermore, the scholars are invited to participate at different networking events. DAAD-scholarship holders within the Helmut-Schmidt-Programme are exempted from tuition fees.
Main DAAD selection criteria:
- study results so far
- language skills
- political and social engagement
- a convincing description of the subject-related and personal motivation for the study project in Germany and the expected benefit when returning to the home country
- expected benefit when returning to the home countryMost recent university degree should be obtained in the last six years prior to the application for the scholarship.
Applicants who have stayed in Germany for more than 15 monthsat the time of the application deadline are not considered as eligible. All master ́s courses have further additional requirements that must be fulfilled by the applicants in any case.
Applications must be submitted in German or English.
Please indicate that you are applying for the DAAD Helmut-Schmidt-Programme (Master’s scholarships for Public Policy and Good Governance). You are allowed to submit your application for up to two master`s courses listed below.
Fill in the DAAD Application form for Research Grants and Study Scholarships only once making clear which study course is your first and which is your second priority. Write a single letter of motivationfor both university courses you choose, justifying your first and second priority choice.
Send the DAAD scholarship form together with the letter of motivation and accompanied with the necessary documents listed below to the two universities of your choice. Do NOT send it to DAAD.
Necessary Documents for the Application
- DAAD Application form for Research Grants and Study Scholarships (only electronically editing possible)
- Hand-signed and dated motivation letter (one single letter for both universities) containing a precise description of the applicant’s academic/professional and personal reasons for choosing those MA programmes and universities (two pages maximum)
- Hand-signed and dated full curriculum vitae including information about the precise field of your studies and, if applicable, description of job experience
- Copy of acquired university degrees (please attach an explanation of the grading system)
- Copy of the transcript of records
- Recent language certificates (German and/or English)
- One letter of recommendation, signed and recently dated by your university professor or current employer, supplemented by an official letterhead, and stamp (not in a sealed envelope)
The application period at all 8 universities lasts from June 1st to July 31st, 2019.
Please submit only legible copies of your documents. Please consider that illegible documents can lead to a formal rejection.
Applications sent to the DAAD will not be forwarded to the respective course/university. They become property of the DAAD and will not be returned. The applicant has no right to claim for reimbursement.
In case your application is sent to more than two universities or if non-specific priorities are given your application will not be accepted.
Only complete applications can be accepted. If you fail to follow the given procedures, you will be excluded from the application process.
List of Master’s Programmes Eligible under this Scholarship
You can choose between the following universities, alphabetically listed by city:
- Hertie School of Governance, Berlin: Master of Public Policy (MPP) (language of instruction: English, programme duration: 4 semesters) e-mail: email@example.com contact: Mr. Patrick Sullivan
- Universität Duisburg-Essen: Master of Development and Governance (language of instruction: English, programme duration: 2 semesters) e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org contact: Mr. Georg Lammich
- Willy Brandt School of Public Policy at the University of Erfurt: Master of Public Policy (MPP) (language of instruction: English, programme duration: 4 semesters) Please apply at this online Application Link e-mail: email@example.com contact: Mr. Florian Heintze
- Leuphana Universität Lüneburg: Public Economics, Law and Politics (PELP) (languages of instruction: English and German, programme duration:4 semesters) e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org contact: Ms. Sarah Bich
- Hochschule Osnabrück: Management in Non-Profit-Organisations (language of instruction: German, programme duration: 4 semesters) e-mail: email@example.com contact: Mr. Heiko Reinert
- Universität Osnabrück: Master of Democratic Governance and Civil Society (languages of instruction: English and German, programme duration: 4 semesters) e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org contact: Prof. Ulrich Schneckener
- Universität Passau: Master of Governance and Public Policy (languages of instruction: English and German, programme duration: 4 semesters) e-mail: email@example.com contact: Mr. Thomas Eibl
- Universität Potsdam: Master of Public Management (MPM) (language of instruction: English, programme duration: 2 semesters) e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org contact: Ms. Stefanie Uhde
- Fully Funded International Master’s Fellowships in UK and Ireland for Developing Countries 2019/2020
- More than 68 PHD Scuola Normale Superiore Scholarships in Italy
- Fully Funded Pan African University MSc and PhD Scholarships by African Union for Africans
- MasterCard Undergraduate and Graduate Scholarships at the University of Cape Town, South Africa
- More than 50 Scholarships Annually in University of Gondar with MasterCard Foundation
- World Bank Funded Masters Scholarships in Energy for Sustainable Development Programmes at the University of Rwanda
- MSc and PhD Scholarships in Railway Engineering for 2019, AAiT, Addis Ababa University
- Call for Application MSc and PhD Scholarship Programs in 2019/2020 at Addis Ababa University
- MSc and PhD World Bank Funded Scholarship Application Call at Haramaya University
- Postgraduate Research Training Program Scholarship (RTP) at Deakin University, Australia
- Australian National University (ANU) Research Scholarships for International Students
- PHD Scholarships for International Students in Australian National University (ANU), Australia
- PHD Scholarships of ERASMUS+ HIGHER EDUCATION MOBILITY at Bahir Dar University
- More than 870 Undergraduate, Masters and PHD Scholarships by Korean Government Scholarship Program
- 4 Scholarships in vibration control and earthquake engineering at Curtin University, Australia
- Australian Government Research Training Program (RTP) Stipend Scholarship at Curtin University
- More than 11,000 Scholarships By Australian Government through Research Training Program (RTP)